The Real Ghostbusters (1987)
In the Spirit of Howard Philips.
Episode: Syndication Season #041 "The Collect Call of Cathulhu"
You can check out the script HERE!
The head of the New York Library, Clark Klein, has borrowed a copy of 'The Necronomican' from Professeur Clark Ashton of the Miskatonic University in Arkham. Before they manage to open the exhibit, the tome is stolen - the robbery carried out by a hideous tentacled creature.
The Ghostbusters investigate and follow an PKE trail to a nearby sewer. Immediately after entering they are attacked by more of the green slimy creatures (that they later learn to be 'Spawn of Cthulhu*). The team fire they proton packs at the monster but they have little effect so they flee.
Peter and Egon contact, occult scientist, Alice Derleth, for help. She informs them that it must be a Occult group that are planning to raise Cthulhu* from the sea. They track down this cult to the basement of an occult shop - there they interrupt a meeting of Cthulhu's followers. The High Priest summons a shoggoth to thwart the intruders but Alice saves them with some defensive magic. In the commotion the cult manage to flee.
Ray suggests they visit an old friend of his, Mr Howard, to study his old issues for some clues in how to deal with Cthulhu. They find the solution in a story called 'The Horror from the Depths'. Egon surmises that the best place to perform the ritual is at the pier in Coney Island. The gang arrive just as Cthulhu rises from the water. Once again their proton packs are useless against the Mythos God but so too is Alice's magic. They then remember the clue from the story that reveals that the monster is vulnerable to electricity.
They lure the creature to a rollercoaster in a nearby theme park. They electrify the tracks with their proton steams just as the Deity is struck by lightning. The corporeal body of the beast is destroyed. The gang unmask the head cultist who is revealed to be Clark Klein.The cops then show up and arrest the cultists and Alice's returns to Arkham with the Necronomican.
- The Necronomican, Spawn of Cthulhu*, a Shoggoth and Cthulhu* itself all appear in this episode.
- The writer with arcane knowledge who helps the team is named 'Alice Derleth' - a reference to the Mythos writer and the first publisher of the writings of H. P. Lovecraft.
- Professeur Clark Ashton is named after Clark Ashton Smith, a friend and fellow writer of Lovecraft.
- At the end of the episode the Necronomican is returned to the Miskatonic University in Arkham.
- Ray gets help from an old friend called Howard - again a reference to another Mythos writer and correspondent of Lovecraft, Robert E.Howard.
- The Ghostbusters get a clue how to kill Cthulhu* from an old copy of 'Weird Tales' - a publication that Lovecraft regularly wrote for.
- The episodes writer, Michael Reaves, has written some Mythos short stories: 'Red Clay' (which was part of the 'Children Of Cthulhu' collection) and 'The Adventure Of The Arab's Manuscript' (which appeared in 'Shadows Over Baker Street').
*Cthulhu is spelt/called 'Cathulhu' in the episode presumably for copyright reasons.